Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Australian Open 2010

is shaping up to be quite a GREAT one... It's always exciting, the first slam of the year... the official kick off of a brutally long season...a no-one-can-tell volatile nature of the Aussie-sunburned-tennis-for-all-filled two weeks.

While upsets can point to a super weak performances of the higher ranked tiers~ none can truly say that this year~ with both the mens and womens draws being speckled across the board with dangerous floaters. Although, you could hardly call Justine Henin a floater.

As usual, I'm more of a fan of the women's game so let me launch into my tirade...

Justine's Return: AWESOME. It seemed impossible that she actually retired while on top of the world, with her best season EVER behind her... and it seemed even more improbable that she would return... and I have to say is, THANK YOU KIM CLIJSTERS for winning last year's US Open... Justine, for whatever reason, is BACK...and looking GOOD. I was never a fan of her sportsmanship (uh, 2006 Australian Open finals, French Open finals debacle!) ~ but it's VERY apparent that Henin 2.0 is a different player for Henin 1.0. She claims that this is not a continuation of her old career, but a new one...and it's none so obvious as in her newly upgraded NET game (AWESOME). Her backhand is as artistic as ever, while increasingly deadly...and her XTREME ANGLE FOREHAND looks SUPER dangerous. Her serve is the only part of her game that worries me to bits, but seeing her scrambling around the courts, punctuated by "Allez!"... well, lets just say it makes staying up till 4 am tearing my freshly permed/dyed hair roots out, that much more worth it. WELCOME BACK JUSTINE!

Kim Clijsters: lost... 6-1, 6-0 to Nadia Petrova in the 3rd round. FAIL.

Serbs: need to go back to basics. Maybe ana ivanovic should stick to posing for FM covers like Kournikova.

Serena: looking flawless... the thought of a Serena vs. Justine final... DROOOL. I read a HILARIOUS article about how she may be behaving extra good so people could forget about her death tantrum @ the US Open .... uh, not going to happen Serena. We all know and love her beastly ways. come on~

Maria Sharapova: read another article that commented that Sharapova may be lost in the transitional phase of the woman's game... it insinuated that our dear ol' Masha may never come back... I strongly disagree, even if she lost in the 1st round. Her shoulder and serve may never be hte same, and she may move like a cow on ice on clay, AND she may be dating a LAKER (ugh)... but I believe in her iron will... I miss her conspicuous habits on court, and watching Yanina Wickmayer last night iwth her "whoopee" grunts... I missed Masha's original shrieks. wow, never thought I'd be saying that.

Now a short brief statement on men's game:

Fed: everyone is thinking this is where the semifinal streak ends. I don't see that happening. But he's not gonna win it either.

Nadal: still not 100%. but looking better with each round. that forehand is SIZZLIN. I just hope his knees hold up. Loving his orange outfit. VAMOS RAFA!

DelPo: lost in a 5 setter against Cilic...(who I'm intrigued by... though I doubt his nerves will hold up till the finals~) The US Open champ is a GIANT who can still got some criminally smooth moves on court. only problem is, I dont' like his body language when things get tough... He looks like's a skinny sulking hulk.

Murray: I still think he's overrated although again, for a giant Scot, he's a great mover. I dont' think he's mature enough to take the AO title just yet.

Djoke:... who gives a shit?

Roddick: I am SO rooting for Roddick...who would have guessed it? Maybe it was his wimbledon performance last year, but I just HOPE he can get ONE more slam under his belt. Can he pull through after htat tough 5 setter against gonzo last night? hmmmm....

Davydenko: all the experts are calling him to take it. I know nothing about his game.

****

Jan's dream winners: Justine & Rafa.

Jan's realistic picks: Serena & Rafa.

****

No comments: