Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Spidey 3 SqueezeSo... I've been awaiting this film like a madwoman. While I haven't been the crazy obsessed devoted comic book collecting fan who knows every inch and glossary of the Spiderman origins~ I did look up as many links as I did come across in researching about the basic storyline, his love interests, his enemies, and of course, the juice on the upcoming 3rd title of the well-critiqued and extremely well-received trilogy. the third, I am glad to say, is still within the ball-parks of what I consider the best 3 part series about a super hero. Yes I may have commited the sin of "cinematic blesphamy," but to each his own. I love the Batman series ("Batman Returns" is one of my all time favorites), I like the concept of X-men (X2 is one of hte higher ranking ones), and yes, I am a sucker for a man in blue and red tights wearing a cape that he can wrap around you as he flies you around the green-screened globe (in case you missed that, Superman). Spidey 3, while not as enjoyable and altogether exceptional as Spidey 2, was still fun and easy on the eyes (or sometimes not as easy but just as EFFECTive <-- i am just ALL over the puns here), while being a bit uneven and scattered in terms of character-development, tone, the dialogue, and of course, the tone. Without trying to give everything away, let me advance. First of all, there are 3 villains in this movie. 3. if you remember, spidey only had to deal with one villian in the previous installments, and still those movies lasted about 2 hours. trying to cram 2 more villains in the span of 30 more minutes, logically, is a tough task for ANYONE, even someone as snazzy as Sam Raimi (who incidentally, helped co-write the script). anyway, plus on the fact that these villians are VERY cool... you have the seemingly indestructible Sandman, the cocky and incredibly misled Eddie Brock as Venom, and the emotionally tortured Harry Osbourne who plays Green Goblin Jr. ( i TOLD you, I haven't read all hte comics!) PLUS in having 3 crazy men chasing after tiny little spidey? 3x as many action scenes with a lot more kang fu chops than one has to offer. MINUS? Less character development, their motivations and reasons for their craziness seem hasty and slightly exaggerated. even by comic book standards. exaggerated - cheesy. and let me tell you, this movie IS NOT for the lactose-intolerant. cheesy? HARHAR. exactly. Sam Raimi seemingly inserts moments of incredible lame humor in an otherwise touching scene. close-ups even... was it a directorial choice NOT to admonish Tobey Maguire when his eye-liner made him look like someone out of Fall-Out-Boy? and the hair?! (OH THE HAIR! *MOAN*) James Franco's Harry Osbourne was always filled with fermented milk, but in this installmnt, it's overtaken his toherwise extremely lust-causing face. His smile~ *shudder*~ is enough to make one want to throw up in your popcorn. Did Mr. Raimi intend to do this to make more of a contrast between the more sincere moments and the funnier ones? Whereas in the 2nd movie, the flow between the two contrasting tones are more seamless, in this 3rd movie, the moments seem misplaced and out of rhythm. like trying to dance salsa to hip hop, or ballet to sanjaya malakar's hair movement. as audience member, i didn't know whether to laugh or to cry and most of the time, because I couldn't choose, I just chose to laugh, in disbelief. there is nothing more awkward than a chockful of the theater audience guffawing awkwardly because they can't believe they're laughing at what is supposed to MAYBE be a funny or a touching scene. this is unfortuante, seeing as if there are many fine moemnts by one of my personal favorite Tobey Maguire... his moments, all of htem, are great, even when they are laughable, but the poignancy is lost in many of his scenes, because of the lack of depth in waht he says and ....appearance (giggle).anyway, if i want to be concise, i'll say this, Raimi and cast NAILS key moments. moments where you NEED to blieve in order for hte story to progress. the MAJOR QUESTIONS are answererd. and satisfactory too. but the minor ones are lost, as lost as, unfortunately, more wisdom from Aunt may (whom I've always loved and cherished). oh and of course, technology is great. they souped up the somewhat fake-CG effects with more dynamic camera movement and angles. More eagle eye views, 360s, effective use of sound and speed. great rhythm in all action scenes. the only thing is once again, the cg scenes often do look like cg. the difference between real life and graphic-life, is too obvious at times. but sitll, no qualms, I jumped plenty, cheered plenty to last me a couple months at least (until PIRATES 3, HARRY POTTER 5, SHREK 3 comes out!! what a summer!)my opnion about the ending. which was. PERFECT. it was SO subtly underplayed. the actors, one sweeping quiet moment, proved that they were rightfully cast, and their characters, rightfully and so fitfully in love. the progression, of 3 movies shone through brilliantly. choosing the end the film on that single moemnt, shows a lot about the belief behidn what the entire cast and crew of this film believes is the story behind Spiderman and even the integrity with which they DID in the end, aim to shoot this picture with. This trilogy is and will forever be, one of the most successful hollywood ventures into superhero-dom. and ending it on one of the most sincerest, genuine moments, can only prove the legitamacy of it's success--> afterall, HE is not a diva, but just our friendly neighbor Spiderman, who, incidentally, happens to be a bit of a dancing queen.

No comments: