Tuesday, September 08, 2009

it is definitely...

great being here in Korea. I had plenty of reservations going on this trip...and it's been what I hoped it would be, while expecting it not to: pure escapism.

There is no immediate acceptance or awe of amazement that accompanied me on my last trip here as an impressionable 18 year old. There is no romantic vision of this foreign land that is both so accessible and yet so inaccessible.

During the last 5 days, I've learned that I UNDERSTAND korea that much more this time around. There is a standard expectation of how great the food should be... how technologically advanced everything is... how insanely ongoing the nightlife is....

and there is also a level of disapproving critique of the judgemental single-minded trendy society... the rude curtness of those riding next to you on the subway... the INSANELY high level of alcohol content in the blood of the general population.

This means a many great things. I can choose to feel like an outsider and stand out. or I can choose to pretend like I'm a native and join in on all the debauchery and awesome shopping. OR, i can choose to appreciate and learn as much as I can over here and then go back to the states, maybe slightly influenced but relieved to greet so much "fresh air" in Los Angeles.

Hm... which will it be?

I'm not going to lie... I'm definitely considering pulling a crazy switch in my life...

we'll see.

stay tuned!

No comments: