Sunday, October 11, 2009

korean cows...

taste SO MUCH BETTER than american cows.

SERIOUSLY.

In about 14 hours, I am leaving for home. After 37 days of complete ignorance and carefree relaxation, I am headed back for a heavy reality check.

Here's the secret though... I thought I wasn't ready to leave 4 days ago when I was originally supposed to leave... but you know, 4 days ago or today, I am equally ready to. Which is good.

There are still a lot of questions in my head about working at the restaurant... mainly about whether or not I should choose to continue my free-spirited instincts... but I am also prepared to accept the fact that whether or not I choose to take a detour in my predisposed 10 year plan, I still have a lot of loose ends to tie up that go along with being a grownup. (I hate being an adult, don't you?)

So, with my first encounter of a sizzling plate of Korean red meat, I say adios to my amazing life of 37 days... and with saying goodbye, there is also saying hello to an incredible handful of memories that I made during my stay here.

Top 3's.

Most Fond Destinations:
1. Jeju Island ==> SweSsoKkah. The place where salty meets fresh water... The beginning of Olleggil...and a place of incredible incredible natural beauty. The water was a tone of torquoise sea green that I'll never forget...and coupled together with the crystal pure waters of the black sandied shore... it was a gorgeous start of a 13 mile hike through Jeju island.

2. Bau House @ Hongdae ==> 2 trips were not enough... it is an incredible concept that sadly will not be accepted in the US for quite some time (due to PETA etc). Dog Cafe's make the world better. Dog cafe's filled with puppies who are rescued from shelters and are pampered with affection. Incredibly well-trained and groomed...and while none except the wholly canine loving population would even take interest, I don't think anyone can deny that puppies are just CUTE. and CUTE things make people happy.

Tied for 3rd:
3. MyoungDong. Incredible amounts of tourists filtering through narrow alleys BRIGHTLY lit all throughout the night by flourescent neon signs everywhere. From rows and rows of sunglasses to legs and legs of your trendiest leggings... Myoungdong's got everything from bargainable stalls to your fashionista vintage stores. amazing.

3. NAMSAN TOWER. Seriously, not overrated AT ALL. Even during a foggy afternoon, the tower took my breath away. A destination for lovers IS CERTAIN. A destination for hte tourist, OF COURSE...and a destination for anyone who delight in fresh air and green trees, and say, beautiful sky lines... A MUST.

TOP 3 FOODS: I literally taken more pictures of food than anything else... I'm lucky enough to be living in LA (Ktown) where most of hte foods available in Seoul are available for a slightly higher price... but still, nothing beats the motherland.

1. HANWOO ==> Seriously, korean cows melt in your mouth. I can't say enough, how DELICIOUS this was.

2. Eel Grill ==> Unagi is standard sushi fare... but with kketnip and ssamjang...PLUS garlic and soju...well, you can't really beat it. it's delicious.

3. Ddukbokki + Odengtang ==> It's on every street corner... every place tastes slightly different... AND the odengsoup IS FREE. It costs about a dollar to fill a late night craving... and seriously, it's available @ every craving. SO THERE!

Top 3 DRINKS:

1. Pineapple flavored Matguhli ==> I actually didn't go all out in terms of drinking (like I KIND of wanted to :p ) but ~ I did get to try the latest trend of flavored Matguhlih drinks (fermented rice wine) ~ pineapple flavored korean traditional drink with mussel soup as a side? OMGGGGGAWWWWDDDDD!!!!!

2. Soju ==> any kind...for Hallaju @ jejudo... to Cwon @ Busan...to ChueumChurum in Seoul... it's less than 3 bucks a pop here... and with tons of sides to go along ... you can't lose! (available in juice boxes, litered bottles, you name it!)

3. KOREAN MILK. GIVES ME THE RUNS. BUT DELICIOUS!!!!

Top 3 EXPERIENCES:

1. jeju island. check out my pictures. beautiful. it measures up to ALL of hte other exotic places in the world.

2. DONGDEHMOON SHOPPING ==> cheaper than most places...stalls next to one another for 7-11 floors... AND bargaining. WOW.

3. The Korean Church== What can I say... Korean churches are super interesting...at least hte one I went to. The praise is super, how do you say... cliche? YOu have about 7 to 8 clothes coordinated singers doing the step together, clap dance while singing praise... the band is simple, led by the keyboard... and you totally do the korean thing of blessing people, palms up, for their birthdays singing the very very very typical... "당신은 사랑받기 위해 태어난 사람"... PLUS, OH the communal prayer! the thing is... once you get past the culture shock... you see the urgency... and the earnest yearning... and you realize that wow, maybe the reason why korean Christians are so fiery HOT, is because they are not concerned with being trendy or hip...they are willing to be as nerdy as required be in the face of Christ.



37 days. and soon, back to day 1 in LA. SOON. but not quite yet. :)

No comments: