1. I prefer Fred Astaire's effortless, rhythmic hoofing to Gene Kelly's virtuoso, earthy leaping.
2. I still think Judy Garland is the most brilliant performer that ever lived.
3. I just finished Gene Tierney's autobio (FINALLY got my paws on it!) and it is the most interesting, most candid and classy autobio I've ever read.
4. Jan's short essay on studios ====> WB: studio for gangster films + gritty real life films (James Cagney + Bette Davis) // Fox: Brilliant technicolor films with key icons, yet not quite top dog in the heyday~ until after the tv revolution kicks in (Betty Grable musicals + Ernest Hemingway adaptations + later Rodgers and Hammerstein) // Columbia: The little engine that could, made a wide variety of comedies and musicals that usually banked on one or two stars bringing in the dough (Frank Capra + Rita Hayworth + Kim Novak) // MGM: The studio with more stars than there are in heaven (Clark Gable + Norma Shearer + Greer Garson + Judy and Mickey + Vincente Minelli etc) + Glossy high prestige pics that later became factory formulaic // Paramount = The prestige studio of the silents, later lost some ground to MGM before stabilizing. (Gary Cooper + Mae West + Cary Grant + Carole Lombard + Audrey Hepburn) // RKO = the little engine that could. survived till the mid 40s when Howard Hughes literally drove it to the ground. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz would soon buy it out in the 50s and call their portion, DESILU. (Fred & Ginger + Stage Door + Pandro S. Berman)
5. Best female Dancer on the silver screen = Cyd Charisse? I love her fluid ARM movements! Needless to say, her legs were exquisite. However, hoofer-wise, you'd give it to Eleanor Powell? (Have you seen "Broadway Melody of 1940" yet? zomg.) How about the latin roots of Rita Hayworth's (Hermes Pan) musicals with Fred Astaire? Ok, Vera Ellen was pretty well rounded, even if she wore that scarf constantly. No qualms against Ginger Rogers, she ended up become very well-rounded even if she needed 10 films with Fred Astaire to do it.
6. My favorite musical of all time: "Meet Me in St. Louis." Then it'd probably be "The Bandwagon."My favorite DANCE sequence (oh very hard) would have to be "Dancing in the Dark." It's bittersweet all over.
7. Conrad Salinger. Money. The original John Williams.
8. I'm still looking to view "Norma Prentiss" with Ann Sheridan.
9. Discovered the tragic beauty of Garbo a couple years ago. I'm fascinated by her. Although I love her mystique and expressive eyes, her "Ninotchka" is probably one of my favorite comedies of all time.
10. There is no real reason why "Laura" should have become a classic. Yet it is. Movie magic. (PS. Gene Tierney on technicolor is BREATHTAKING. "Heaven can Wait")
11. I've ALWAYS had issues with the casting of Natalie Wood in "West Side Story." Is that blasphemous? I always liked the Puerto Ricans better than the Americans. I forget, was that the sharks or the jets?
12. Though I love "Citizen Kane," my favorite movie of all time is "The Best Years of our Lives" (1946).
13. Why aren't there any more partnerships anymore? Bob Hope + Bing Crosby // Fred & Ginger // George Burns & Gracie Allen // The Marx Brothers // Judy and Mickey // Olivia and Errol... sigh*.
14. The king and queen of hollywood were considered to be: Clark Gable and Myrna Loy. Clark Gable was known to be a casanova, notorious for being dull in bed. Myra Loy, famous for being the best wife on screen, had 5 failed marriages which she candidly addressed in her autobio (also a great read).
15. "Stage Door" (1937) and "The Women" (1939) are also in my top 10 films of all time. The script is timeless and the snap crackle pop delivery is still dead on. Look out for a young Lucy in "Stage Door!"
16. I have a special soft spot for Margarita Cansino. aka Rita Hayworth.
17. I probably own more Cary Grant & Fred Astaire movies than I do of any other actor.
18. Jean Arthur was one of the best comediennes that ever lived.
19. What was the appeal of Charlton Heston again?
20. The reason why I love Nora Ephron so much is because her scripts always contain a bit of the sparkle of classic Hollywood.
21. Billy Wilder is my favorite director.
22. I LOVE LOVE the "Sound of Music." (1965) But I love "Oklahoma" (1955) equally.
23. not a big fan of Lana Turner... but a hUGE fan of John Garfield in "The Postman always rings twice." He was SEXY.
24. I did go through a Bette Davis phase. She still manages to get too much "Bette Davis" across in her roles. but I gotta admit, she's got that x factor. Surprisingly, she was a sort of fashion icon in those days.
25. Last but not least, i believe that black and white is EQUALLY aesthetically pleasing as technicolor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Agreed with point 20
One of the best war movies i've ever seen in my life was made in 1930... All quiet on the Western Front. =]
Post a Comment