Sunday, March 04, 2012

love and marriage

it's finally starting to hit me... Sarah's married. My roommate and closest friend at Southland just got hitched. I feel so honored and privileged to have been able to witness her relationship with Pat from the very beginning till now... to have been a part of the wedding as a bridesmaids was incredible. It was my first time and instead of feeling anxious and strapped for finances, I felt covered and blessed. Wow. I think one of my favorite parts was getting to meet the other bridesmaids. Jessica, Binna, Grace and I had somehow been a part of Sarah's life in a special, unique way, and seeing all the pictures while compiling the wedding slideshow made me appreciate Sarah even more.

Weddings are definitely bittersweet. Obviously, it is a most definite, most joyous occasion. Thrilling, romantic, and very sweet. It's serious too. A moment of the ultimate promise to love, to accept, to compromise, to sacrifice, to forgive, to commit. But it hit me truly, this time around, that a wedding is also about leaving. P. Eddie hit upon something that I personally had dreaded and feared about getting married myself: leaving behind a life of solitude, leaving behind life as a child of the parents who reared and took care of you all your life. The moment when the door shuts on your identity as the sole identity of your heart and your future. But the thing is, the leaving behind signifies growth; the next step in trusting the Lord EVEN MORE. How much more faith is required of you to be able to say goodbye to the status quo of your life as you know it? To circle a different letter for your marital status on all legal documents?

*sigh* I'm not ready yet, Lord knows, but someday, someday...




No comments: