Monday, April 13, 2009

FRIENDS

So, I own all 10 seasons of "Friends." I was a relatively late "bloomer" of a fan... I didn't follow the show until it's last season and that was only after I decided, on a whim, to buy season 1 on dvd. It was on sale at Borders for 20 bucks and I could afford to buy things back then.

I watched season 1 in a day. Then went back immediately to get seasons 2 - 6. Then the rest as soon as they came out.

Since then, I've seen the entire cycle, start to finish, say around 4 times. Every time I recycle through, I find myself marveling at a couple of things:

1. It's still RIDICULOUSLY funny. The only show that comes close to being AS funny is probably "The Office."
2. My favorite FRIEND changes each time I watch. (1st time: Chandler. 2nd time: Rachel. 3rd time: Phoebe. 4th time: Monica)
3. I have a group of "friends" --> except our Central Perk = BJ's.

The great thing about this show is that the level of relatability NEVER fades. Especially now that I'm in my "mid" 20s. It's weird, I used to think that the show was a farce and that friendships like that could never truly exist. But even from the all same ethnicity (come on, it's NOT racist... how many white friends am I that close to???) ~ to the marrying your best friend/having crushes on them... it's all real. It's not ideal and it's not just the stuff made out of movies. The show is just a funnier version of us...and if anything, a picture of what we all hope to have at some point or another.

It may sound sad that I turn to these six "Friends" more often than not when I am lonely... or that I quote lines or compare real life situations to situational comedy... but really? I am not ashamed at all. Why should I when each episode reminds me of what I have and what I strive to attain? The reason why I laugh so hard and cry so much is because I've experienced these things, no?

SO, the reason why i'm posting an entire blog on this... it is not just an "ode"... but a realization. A lot of people ask me ... "What kind of acting do you want to do?" They wonder if I want to go into a certain genre... or a certain medium... and I always tell them the same thing... "I want to act with good people telling good stories." I don't care about the genre or the medium. Film/tv/stage doing Comedy/drama/indie~ whatever... HOWEVER, it did strike me that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be a part of a great ensamble... play a consistent character that I can love and hate and BE for a long time... a character that lives because there are other characters that support and affirm her... and people who enjoy and appreciate the growth she has to offer. that would be an INCREDIBLE blessing and such a wonderful opportunity. It doesn't have to be a one - Jan - show... just to be a part of something like "Friends." Wow. Makes me all teary just thinking about it.

Here's my favorite Friend's "clip" of all time. Enjoy.

No comments: