Sunday, October 18, 2009

Audrey Hepburn...

was how I discovered movies. Really, she was.

In 6th grade, I discovered that you could borrow movies @ the library... sure, there weren't that many recent flicks available... but there was an ample amount of ones they always showed on AMC and what not. So, one day, I borrowed a film called "Roman Holiday."

and my love affair with Audrey Hepburn began, which in turn, gave way to my love for classic cinema and eventually, to the art of acting.

Audrey Hepburn symbolized the epitome of glamour, charm, beauty, and unique sensibility. Her elegant poise, curious vocal cadence, and her distinct sense of timing all but floored me when I was but an impressionable 11 year old. Back then, as young and immature as I was, I marveled more at her acting career... but now, as I revisit my "torch" for the icon, I revel more at the incredible strength Audrey Hepburn had during her war-stricken childhood, her meteoric rise to fame, her disappointing marriages, her triumphant success as a mother, her self-less run as a good will ambassador for UNICEF, and finally, her final fight against the cancer that eventually overcame her against the world's wishes.


I used to want to act because I thought I had plenty of stories to tell...stories that the world could relate to...now it's limited down to the fact that well...acting makes me happy. it's about me. about what I want. I've never even dared to dream of becoming someone one millionth as legendary as Audrey Hepburn.

Of course, it'd be incredible presumptuous, pompous, and preposterous to even BEGIN to believe that I ever could become such an icon...

but in a way, maybe I'm cheating myself out of ... say an EVEN GREATER dream (than the one I hold right now) to think that I NEVER could... maybe that would be limiting not just myself, but also my God who gives me purpose in every single move that I make...

Would it be ok, even if it's for just a little while to believe, just a little bit... that I can possibly alter at least ONE PERSON'S life the way Audrey did mine?

*smiles to self* now THAT'S one HELLUVA dream. :)

No comments: