Friday, April 08, 2011

i had the most unusual day

today. I kickstarted it at 7 am when my roomie graciously did some needlework on my back (in a good way)~ then reset up our wifi, then went back to sleep, woke up to go out to grab grub with another one of my roomies, who graciously treated me out, and then to my usual seat at PEETS, where a seemingly "glam" asian woman interrupted me in the middle of my examination of 1 Chronicles, chapter 18.

"Excuse me," she says. Her sunglasses are still on but I can tell she has a generous amount of eyeliner on.

"Yes?"
"Can you watch my coffee for a sec?" She actually looks concern and I bite my lip, trying not to laugh. See at our neighborly Peets, where everybody knows your name, people don't steal eachother's drinks.

Nevertheless, I reply,"Sure."
She comes back a second later. Then she asks me the same question. Returns another second later.

Then for the 3rd time, she taps me and asks, "So excuse me. What church do you go to?"

While I am slightly irritated, I can't help but be bemused as well. "Church of Southland."

"Oh... where???"
"Church of Southland. It's in anaheim."
The lady laughs congenially, "oh! As in... SOUTH land!"
I laugh as well. I got to admit, this lady is both strange and the encounter, pretty comical. As the laughter dies down, I wonder if this is an opportunity to evangelize. When silence settles in, I think, "hm... I guess not."

Except the lady just won't let me alone.
So I figure, hey, just go with it.

So we talk. We talk about acting mostly actually. That is after she gets me to spill about what I'm doing with my life. She seems to light up, as if I'm some kind of hot shot producer wanting to cast her. She goes on about her favorite actress (DIANE LANE?!!) and how underrated she is. She reveals that she respects George Clooney because he is "pretty cute" and a "good person." She asks if she should take acting class before asking me where I lived. I share that I live with 3 other roommates and she looks shocked. She switches topics as if she's playing a ping pong match, one after another. I can't quite keep up until I realize, somewhat relieved, that my meter is about to expire and that I now have an excuse to jet my hiney out to the grove where I can finish Tina Fey's new memoir in peace.

Before I leave, we exchange numbers (HOW ODDDDD) and I can't help but think, "omg, is she hitting one me?"

All in all, I am a bit weirded out.

OK, before you judge me and think me a horribly UNGRACIOUS person, I think you should have seen the way this woman looked. Without being horribly mean... she looked like a slightly over the hill ktown girl. And her rack was huge. She was pretty attractive. But really, too much eyeliner. and too much cleavage. Anyway, that with the whole asking me so many questions at once, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with 'WOW, THIS IS A STRANGER AND I'VE JUST GIVEN HER MY NUMBER AND TOLD HER WHAT AREA IN LA I LIVE WITH HOW MANY POEPLE."

my question to myself and you is.... why the heck am I so jaded to believe that such interest and such openness to strangers is... STRANGE?

What warrants her behavior to be slightly off kilter, as opposed to warm and friendly?

I don't know. I always thought myself to be perfectly friendly, but now i realize... hmm, i may be a lot more standoffish and aloof than I gave myself credit for.

Anyway, it was most certainly an unusual moment during my usual moment of my usual schedule. and I felt most unusually about it afterwards.

No comments: