Sunday, May 01, 2011

friendship

is truly beautiful.

**edit**

I've come into terms with the fact that I will always struggle with bouts of loneliness. I am no longer in bondage to it (woohooo for inner healing) but it will a familiar territory that the enemy will use to get at me. That being said, it's been a blessed week. So far, very different from the week I had last week. It's hard to believe that I had my scariest spiritual attack just 7 days ago. I already feel so far away from it. Which is, in itself, a wonderful encouragement. Being held by God and traveling with him = record speeds, incredible pace = miraculous distances being made towards His kingdom.

SO, what has compelled me to write a blog on such a cliche, sticky, hallmark sentiment, "FRIENDSHIP IS BEAUTIFUL."

I was struck last night by a sense of understanding. I call these few, lucky seconds, "God perspectives." I am not blockaded by my own selfish humanity, but blessed with an overall picture of purpose and intent.

I am basically going through the toughest period of my life right now. Yes, people are going through way way way worse. But in my time-line, so far, this is the rock bottom. But how incredible is it, that I have friends for all occasions during this season of hardship. Let me liken my friends to different types of umbrellas.

1. the hello-kitty cutesy umbrella. It's usually small and not very useful. At least for an adult with big hips. But it transports us away from the fact that it's raining, and offers us the child-like joy of walking in the rain. These are friends that offer me, through their humorous anecdotes and zany personalities, distractions and laughter that allows me much needed relief.

2. the ready to go automatic umbrella. usually available at the nearest pharmacy. It's dependable and easy to use. Practical. These are my friends who readily offer me an ear when I need to vent. They offer me advice, encouragement, and prayer. They are constant and available in my times of struggle.

3. heavy duty golf umbrella. you know the ones I'm talking about. they're so freakin' big they look like a tent for 20 people or more. These are friends who are family. The ones I turn to when it's hailing or when the wind is blowing so hard that all I can do is stand still and wait underneath the protection of the umbrella. It's hard enough as it is to stay standing, but these friends remind me that they will always be there to cover me, to guard and shield me with all that they've got, during the most brutal storms in life.

4. The umbrella missing a couple of legs. The ones that offer almost no protection because in sunny weather, they still manage to flip inside and out. in romantic comedies, the hero or heroine usually ends up looking a fool because he/she somehow get tangled up in one. Usually, we keep these around because there's some sentimental value or just because we can't throw it away. Ok, so here are friends...who may not be the most consistent, most honest, most dependable... and yet, they are my friends despite who they are because either we have so much history (messed up or not, history is history)... and well honestly, just because. In a non-cocky way, I end up becoming the one that accepts them for who they are. I end up being the stable one, the constant one. And in a self-less way, non-self-centered way, I am able to bestow grace upon them and be used by God to show these "broken" friends, that they are just as cherished and just as useful to our creator and Lord.


Here I am. It's raining. And here are all these umbrellas. I am SO. Covered.

Put's a whole new spin on why I'm singin' in the rain~ :)

Corny? Ah well~ what isn't?

No comments: