one of my most vivid memories is from 1994.
i had just gotten back from an ok or so performance at the Pacific Music Competition... there had been a couple of fierce violinists who had played pretty fabulously and both my mother and I were extremely nervous about my prospects of winning. on the line? a back to back win (i had taken the title 1993) PLUS a whopping $1000.
the winner or the 2nd place Honourable mention was scheduled to receive a coveted phone call... and I had been waiting all day...
come around 5 pm or so.... the phone rings. i am alert, in my room upstairs. sure enough, it's the musical director from Pacific society (he was the jolly kind; totally looked like santa clause). My mom picks up... and some broken english...some laughter... and then she calls my name.
i zombie-walk down the stairs... i take the cordless that my mother hands me...and when i see her face, i know it's merely a confirmation that Santa can offer me. I am aware of the smile on my face as I talk into the receiver.
"hello?"
"Hi January... this is 'Santa' from Pacific... how are you?"
"I'm fine. How are you?"
"Very well! I'm sure you know why I'm calling!"
"I... uh, think so!"
"Well, I'm calling to congratulate you! You're our winner this year... "
"wow...really?"
"yes! two in a row!"
"that's... awesome... thanks!"
etc
etc
etc.
i don't remember the rest... but i do remember my mom making me my favorite dinner at that time (spaghetti with no sauce, just a healthy dose of Parmasean) ~ and catching the latest episode of "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman."
and this is where this blog post really begins. L&C is one of the few tv shows I caught as a kid training to become the next Sarah Chang. I followed each episode religiously...and Dean Cain + Teri Hatcher (before her glorified return on Housewives) exemplified the most romantic, funny, and adventurous pair of chemistry I could ever imagine. it didn't hurt of course, that Dean Cain in blue tights was pretty effin hot. and that Teri hatcher of course, played the best Lois Lane ever (STILL A TRUE STORY!).
I never really got to finish the series, or catch every episode... but thank God for cable. TNT would play reruns and, though they changed their scheduling changed every month, I still managed to scrap every episode I could...
fast forward to the present. Teri Hatcher is now "Desperate." Dean Cain went from playing host to his own version of "Ripleys" to playing totally somewhat forgotten... BUT, the series is now available on DVD. AND I OWN THEM! $17 per season. and they are MINE. and the special memory of my back to back win :). yeah, I'm gloating. :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment